Click the four arrows in the bottom right corner of the video to expand to full screen.
Featuring Jamie Laredo (violin), Sharon Robinson (cello), Benjamin Hochman (piano), and Nokuthula Ngwenyama (viola)
Mozart: Piano Quartet in E–flat Major, K.493
Nokuthula Ngwenyama: ELEGY
Brahms: Piano Quartet No. 1, Op.25
“The Keyboard Reimagined”
- Julia Wolfe – Dark Full Ride (Part I)
- Caroline Shaw – Taxidermy
- Jason Treuting – Nine Numbers 4
- Kendall Williams – Melodic Concept III
- Darian Donovan Thomas – Stephon Clark
- Vijay Iyer – Torque
• Bach: Art of the Fugue (selections)
• Borodin: Quartet No. 2 in D Major
• Bartok: String Quartet No. 1 in A Major
Friends, we are very eager to get together with you again and are making plans to see you this fall. We are focusing our resources on one or more exciting, innovative and LIVE chamber music concerts to celebrate our collective future. We also look forward to a belated – by one year – celebration of our 70th anniversary! Stay tuned for our autumn 2021 schedule.
This summer would have marked HVCMC’s 70th June Concert Series. So it is with enormous regret that we have decided to cancel our June concert series this year. The reason is obvious and it is the responsible thing to do. We hope to have the same performers from this year appear in our June Concert Series next year, because our scheduled program would have been spectacular. Take solace in the next best thing — recorded performances by the esteemed performers we’ll be missing this year that you can view by clicking the “Learn More” button below.
OUR PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED LINEUP:
• The Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson Trio plus guests Nokuthula Ngwenyama, violist and composer, and Harold Robinson, double bass
• The Omer Quartet
• Matt Haimovitz, cello, and Andrea Lam, piano
We at HVCMC are thrilled to be co-sponsoring a performance by our very own Artistic Directors, cellist Sharon Robinson and violinist Jaime Laredo, along with CameraMusic, a program of the Chamber Music Society of Detroit designed to keep audiences engaged, and artists employed, by connecting them to each other live over the internet. To enjoy the following program, please join us here on the homepage of HVCMC.org where we will be livestreaming the concert on Saturday, May 30 — “doors open” a half hour before the performance begins at 8pm EST:
• Handel/Halvorsen: Passacaglia for Violin and Cello
• Mozart: Duo for Violin and Cello, after KV 423 in G major
• Erwin Schulhoff: Duo for Violin and Cello
• Andy Stein: Tango, from Suite for Two for Violin and Cello
Thanks to our loyal friends and some welcome newcomers, our Annual Fall Benefit Concert at Joan Davidson’s beautiful Germantown estate was a great success! It was a beautiful day, the Bard Conservatory musicians organized by our estimable Advisory Director Joan Tower were spectacular, and we trust all enjoyed their performance and the after-concert refreshments.
with guest flutist Tara Helen O’Connor
• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Flute Quartet in C major, K.Anh.171/285b
• Fritz Kreisler: String Quartet in A minor
• Franz Schubert: String Quartet No. 14 in D minor, ‘Death and the Maiden’
• Ellen Taaffe Zwilich: Pas de Trois (Local Premiere, Co-Commissioned by HVCMC)
• Robert Schumann: Six Études in Canonic Form, Op. 56
• Maurice Ravel: Piano Trio
• Felix Mendelssohn: Piano Trio in D minor
with guest violist Milena Pajaro-van de Stadt
• Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: String Quartet No.23 in F major, K.590
• Erich Wolfgang Korngold: String Quartet No. 3, Op. 34
• Antonín Dvořák: String Quintet No.3, Op.97
Please join us at the home of our esteemed board member Dennis and his generous partner Bing for our annual autumn concert & reception to benefit HVCMC. The event will be held in their renovated barn which features a music room that is adjacent to Bing’s art studio. The barn of creativity faces west, providing guests with stunning views of a fall sunset while you enjoy wine & hors d’oeuvres. Our own talented, well-loved birthday celebrant, Joan Tower, has planned a memorable musical afternoon for all.
When the leaves fall and the weather turns colder, that means it’s time for our Annual Free Family Concert with the Bard Conservatory Preparatory Division! Families and children of all ages are welcome. There will be apples for snacks and kids can sit up front (there will be rugs and pillows!) for the best views of performances by the Prep Division faculty, including the artists pictured here, and their talented students.
- Beethoven: Piano Trio in E flat major, Op. 70, No. 2
- Bent Sørensen: Phantasmagoria for Piano Trio
- Anton Arensky: Piano Trio No. 1 in D minor, Op. 32
Jaime Laredo & Pamela Frank (violins), Nokuthula Ngwenyama & Milena Pajaro-van de Stadt (violas), and Keith Robinson & Sharon Robinson (cellos)
• Brahms String Sextet No. 1 in B flat major, Op. 18
• Brahms String Sextet No. 2 in G major, Op. 36